The Mackay Base Hospital Birth Centre is a stand-alone, home-like maternity care facility located adjacent to the labour ward. It encourages families to be involved in planning and enjoy the events of pregnancy and childbirth in a safe, personalised, comfortable setting.
It was opened in 1994, by the women of Mackay for low-risk pregnant women experiencing an uncomplicated pregnancy who wish a natural birth in a family environment.
The Birth Centre is staffed by experienced clinical midwives, who work collaboratively as a unit to provide midwifery services.
We support and empower women and our model is based on mutual respect with an emphasis on safety for mother and baby. Your midwife will assist you to make informed choices and will aim to be an active participant in your care choices.
Our philosophy of care
The Mackay Base Hospital Birth Centre acknowledges:
- Pregnancy and childbirth is a normal physiological and social event across the lifespan of a woman.
- Women and their families are respected and treated as persons in their own right.
- Women and their families are educated and empowered to embrace a strong sense of self, to trust their bodies, to plan their pregnancies and to make informed choices.
- Birth is normal and prefer to avoid unnecessary interventions.
- Respect, trust and open communication is promoted and results in the best possible healthcare available to all women.
- The midwives embrace the philosophies of the midwifery profession.
- Midwives facilitate active, natural birth with minimal intervention through the provision of physical, emotional and social support.
How do I access the Birth Centre?
Contact us as early into your pregnancy as possible as the midwives’ caseloads fill quickly. For more information please phone 4885 6933 and leave your details on the Birth Centre answering machine. It is important to see your GP early in your pregnancy (within the first 10 weeks) to confirm the pregnancy and to start your pregnancy care. Your GP will also create a referral to Mackay Base Hospital as well as arrange pregnancy screening and blood tests.