The Mackay Birth Centre is a home-like maternity care facility. It encourages families to be involved in planning and enjoy the events of pregnancy and childbirth in a safe, personalised, comfortable setting.
It was opened in 1994, by the women of Mackay for well pregnant women experiencing an uncomplicated pregnancy who wish a natural birth in a family environment.
The Birth Centre is staffed by experienced clinical midwives, who work collaboratively as a unit to provide midwifery services.
One Birthing room with ensuite bathrooms including baths.
- Birthing with one to one care from a clinical midwife
- Antenatal appointments
- Childbirth and parenting classes
- Follow-up after birth to 10 days
- Home visiting is offered within a 25km radius, alternative arrangements can be made for those living >25km
- Phone calls or Birth Centre visits as appropriate
- Breastfeeding information and support
- Family involvement
- Liaison with community services
- Warm water immersion birth
Service Update – 5 August 2020