We provide a range of services that focus on enhancing the health and wellbeing of children, young people and their caregivers. There is commitment to provide a comprehensive range of high quality and accessible health care services for children that meet the immediate physiological, psychological and social needs of the child and his/her family.
Child Advocacy Services
This service at the Mackay Base Hospital is a single point of contact for Child Protection issues and concerns within the Mackay Hospital and Health Service.
Phone (07) 4885 7270
Fax (07) 4885 7288
Child Safety Reporting details
Central Queensland Regional Intake Service:
Phone 1300 703 762
After Hours Service:
Phone 1800 177 135
Child Development Service
Child Development Services work in partnership with families and other stakeholders to determine the current and future functional impact of a child’s complex impairment in order to optimise the child’s long term outcome.
Some children have developmental impairments that are complex and cross multiple areas, including development, psycho-social, medical and/or behavioural factors.
The Child Development Service provides screening, assessment and treatment for children from birth and up to the age of 5 years – eligible to commence full-time schooling. Access for these services is through a referral from a health professional only.
- Assessment of children with complex developmental needs by health team
- Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy and Speech Pathology intervention
- Early Bird Clinic – screening clinic for pre-term infants, less than 32 weeks gestation and/or 1500g or less, or seriously ill at birth
- Assessment for children with features of autism spectrum disorder by health team
Child, Youth and Family Health
The Mackay Child Youth and Family Health Service is a health team that supports families with children from 0-18 years of age. The service is available free of charge, however costs will apply to those ineligible for Medicare.
Nursing and Health Worker Services
- Breastfeeding and infant nutrition
- Development profiles from 0-5 years
- Hearing Clinic for 4-18 years
- Lactation consultants available
- Visits with a child health nurse in a clinic venue nearest your home
- Developmental Assessments
- Aboriginal, Torres Strait and South Sea Islander Health worker
- Home visiting
- Hospital liaison
- Mackay Day Stay Centre for infants from birth to 12 months with issues such as sleep and nutrition
- Developmental assessments
- Mums & Bubs program
- School based youth health nurses
- Telephone consultations during business hours
• Early parents group 0-5mths
• Older babies group 5-12mths
• Positive parenting program
School Based Youth Health Nurses
To support and enhance the capacity of state schools with secondary students to develop structures and environments that promote the health and wellbeing of young people and to provide secondary school aged young people with access to a limited primary health care service within the school.
Paediatric Registrar Clinic
- Mandatory referral from a Health Professional
- General paediatric service including failure to thrive, feeding problems, developmental delays, behavioural problems, autistic features