People living with persistent pain in Moranbah, Dysart and Clermont are being offered support through a new program at their local hospitals.
The Virtual Integrated Pain Centre provides people with access topain management programs and is delivered with support of Allied Health Assistants at each facility.
Hinterland Allied Health Team Leader Rebecca McDonnell said new program was devised by pain management specialists at tertiary hospitals and would start in May this year.
“Anyone living with pain who wants to improve their quality of life should ask their GP for a referral to participate,” Ms McDonnell said.
The program is delivered virtually with patients engaging in group-based telehealth and internet-based programs.
“The aim of the program is to provide high quality interdisciplinary pain management while tackling the tyranny of distance and isolation for rural and remote patients,” said.
Patients complete a combination of multidisciplinary group allied health treatments, delivered virtually and tailored to their individual pain management plan.
The program is designed to provide information and support about the best ways to actively manage persistent pain.
“The aim is to empower participants to take charge of their pain journey and rediscover meaningful activity to improve their well-being and quality of life.,” she said.
She said the group-based sessions would help people meet others with similar issues and talk in an encouraging, safe and supportive environment.
The programs operate in a ‘shared care model’ with participants encouraged to maintain regular contact with their GP.
The program aims to help participants to:
- Increase their knowledge and engage in evidenced based persistent pain management strategies
- Increase participation in valued activities including work, leisure, personal and social
- Increase confidence to actively self-manage pain
- Develop a plan and strategies that they can incorporate into their daily routine.
Topics covered are:
- Understanding pain
- Therapeutic movement
- Psychological well-being
- Unhelpful thoughts and beliefs
- Mindfulness meditation and
- Improving sleep.
Key dates are:
- Introduction and Choose Your Program: 21/5/21 and 04/06/21
- Introduction and Choose Your Program: 19/11/21 and 03/12/21
- Manage Your Pain: 07/07/21 to 28/7/21 (four sessions of two hours a week)
- Manage Your Pain 03/11/21 to 24/11/21 (four sessions of two hours a week)
- Mindfulness: 10/8/21 to 31/8/21