The Mackay Hospital and Health Service is progressing with a detailed business case for Moranbah Hospital.
In 2020, the Queensland Government allocated $500,000 to explore the current and future health needs of the community. This business case is being progressed to ensure the health needs of Moranbah locals continue to be met while giving access to a contemporary hospital.
It is proposed the new Moranbah Hospital will deliver greater flexibility in services provided and better equip the hospital to respond to emergency situations, such as major mining incidents.
Click here to view the Moranbah Hospital redevelopment flyer.
The proposed new hospital will be built off Mills Avenue on the existing grounds and all services will be incorporated within a single footprint.
The new facility will provide expanded emergency department treatment spaces as well as incorporating enhanced outpatient, allied health, community health and community mental health spaces. The design will also allow for future service growth, as needed.
Other potential improvements include;
- A new helipad to reduce reliance on Queensland Ambulance Service and make inter-hospital transfers more efficient.
- Improved patient flow with the emergency department co-located with the inpatient unit for safety.
- Airlock entrance providing enhanced staff and patient safety, particularly after hours as it allows staff to assess the patient prior to them entering the facility.
- Replication of the rose garden and family room.
- Integrated services within one building space.
- Medical Imaging expansion to include CT.
Provide your feedback on the new Moranbah Hospital
You’re invited to complete our short survey, which will help inform the planning process for the new Moranbah Hospital. Your feedback will allow us to develop a better understanding of the community’s priorities relating to healthcare services, the use of public spaces and amenities and creating an environment which is culturally safe and welcoming.
Click here to access the survey.
Artist impressions of the new Moranbah Hospital
Services currently available
To view the services currently available at Moranbah Hospital click here.