Construction is under way
Construction of the new Moranbah Hospital has started. The new hospital has a modular design and is part of a $943.5 million investment by the Queensland Government to extend the Building Rural and Remote Health Program.
It will provide Moranbah and surrounding communities with a modern hospital and improved health services.
The new hospital will have more emergency department treatment spaces, a CT scanner and a helipad.
Hutchinson Builders has been awarded the tender for the project with construction expected to be complete in late 2024.
The new hospital will be better equipped to respond to emergency situations and deliver greater flexibility in services provided.
There will be 12 inpatient beds, expanded medical imaging services, an ambulatory care area, gymnasium and an enhanced outpatient department.
Integrating allied health, child health, antenatal and postnatal care, and mental health under the one roof will improve patient flow and the amenity for staff and patients.
Download our flyer showcasing the new hospital here.
Highlights of the new hospital
- Increased Emergency Department capacity
- A better designed Emergency Department for staff and patients
- Modern resuscitation bay with new equipment
- CT scanner in an expanded medical imaging department
- Helipad and improved ambulance access
- 12 inpatient beds in a contemporary purpose-built facility
- Child health, antenatal and postnatal care, allied health and mental health services under one roof
- Covered entry for all-weather access
- 22 car parks and turn-around drop off area
- Simulation room for more clinical training
- Rehabilitation gym for patients recovering from injury and illness
- Large conference space that can be used by the community.
Artist impressions of the new hospital
Note these are concept drawings.
A modern digital hospital
The new Moranbah Hospital will become part of the digital hospital network that replaces paper-based clinical charts and records.
This ensures clinical staff at any treating hospital can see the same medical records.
The digital system shares information in real time to allow the best clinical decisions to be made.
For Moranbah patients transferred to other facilities this means clinicians at the receiving hospital have access to their medical records prior to arrival.
Rose garden and family room
The new hospital and grounds will retain two features loved by staff, patients and visitors.
The prize-winning rose garden will be relocated and incorporated into the landscape design.
The transplanting work will be done by a local horticulture expert.
The family room, funded through community donations, will be replicated to provide a comforting space for patients and loved ones outside the ward.
- Site establishment November 2023
- Delivery of first modules to site April 2024
- Completion fourth quarter 2024
- Demolition of old hospital fourth quarter 2024