We provide general, specialist and emergency dental treatment to eligible people within the Mackay Health Service area.
Our Dental Clinics are based at the Mackay Base Hospital, Proserpine Hospital and Bowen Hospital and we provide scheduled visits to Clermont, Collinsville and Sarina.
- General, emergency and preventative services for children, adolescents and adults
- Denture manufacture, maintenance and adjustment
- Teaching and training of students undertaking clinical placements and graduate supervision
- Patient education and teaching
- Community education programs
Mackay Dental Clinic has a room equipped with specialised equipment to accommodate patients in wheelchairs and on beds. Please advise staff if you or your family member requires the use of this room.
Who can have dental service?
Adults are eligible for free public dental care if they hold a current:
- Pensioner Concession Card issued by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (DVA)
- Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink (PCC)
- Health Care Card issued by Centrelink (HCC)
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSC)
- Queensland Seniors Card (QSC)
We also provide dental health services to eligible adults experiencing pain and who reside in another state or territory.
Children are eligible for free dental care if they are:
- Aged 4 through to students in year 10
- Students in years 11 or 12 who have a current Centrelink, Healthcare or Pension Card
- Aged 0–3 whose parents have a current Centrelink, Healthcare or Pension Card
We also provide free dental care for 2–17 year olds who are eligible for the Child Dental Benefits Schedule.
Patient Travel Subsidy is not available for dental services.
Additional eligibility criteria
Public dental specialist services
Dental specialist services can only be accessed by referral from dental, allied health or medical practitioners.
Availability of dental specialist services varies between locations and HHS oral health services. To be eligible for public dental specialist services:
- Adults must meet the eligibility criteria for free public oral health services.
- Children must:
o Meet the eligibility criteria for free public oral health services; and
o Hold, or be listed as a dependent on, a valid Centrelink concession card.
For specialist services additional clinical criteria may also be applied by public dental specialists to determine eligibility.
What do I need to bring to my appointment?
You must bring:
- Your current concession card and Medicare card
- Photo identification
- A detailed list from your doctor or pharmacist of any medication you are taking
Our Dental Vans
Service to other Mackay, Proserpine/Whitsunday and Bowen district schools. Contact us to find out about the dental van schedule.
If you require emergency treatment after hours, contact the Emergency Department at your local hospital or your private dentist.