Our Social Work services deliver care to patients, families and carers throughout our hospital system as well as in our community and rural based health services.
Social Workers are members of the treating team and provide a broad range of generalist and specialist services including: counseling, care coordination and guidance regarding: diagnosis and illness management, treatment and recovery processes and referral information.
Our Services include:
- Working with both the health care teams and families/carers to ensure a coordinated approach that support patients through the treatment and rehabilitation process
- Psycho-social assessments of patients, families and carers to ensure their situation is understood and to ensure that they can be actively involved in the treatment, planning, recovery and discharges process
- Counseling in response to receiving a serious medical diagnosis, working through grief and loss, healthy adjustment to illness and achieving lifestyle changes and managing family dynamics
- Risk assessment, management and referral for a range of matters including child protection, domestic and family violence, drug/ alcohol misuse and thoughts of self-harm
- Guidance in relation to completing an Advanced Health Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney and applying for residential aged care placement and/or respite
- Provide information and linkage to available community support services
Emergency Crisis and Trauma Service
Our Social Work Service provides a 24 hours a day, seven days a week response to emergency crisis and trauma situations that occur within the Mackay Base Hospital.