If you live in rural and remote areas, and have to travel more than 50km for specialist medical services that are not available locally, you may be eligible for the Patient Travel Subsidy Scheme (PTSS). This can include assistance with travel and accommodation costs for you and your family member or carer.
How to apply for travel assistance
- Contact your General Practitioner (GP) or referring medical specialist to complete the
- Lodge the application with the hospital nearest to your place of residence. You can lodge the application through your GP, per mail, email, fax or in person
- Your hospital should be your first point of contact for inquiries
- Application forms need to be submitted 2 weeks before you travel or up to 1 month after the date of travel
What may be covered?
The Patient Travel Assistance only provides a subsidy and does not cover all costs.
A list of accommodation options closest to your treating hospital can be found here. You may choose to stay at a different accommodation, however you will need to pay upfront and then seek reimbursement.
Commercial – air, bus or rail – fully paid at lowest available fare.
Private vehicle – $0.30 per km.
Commercial – $60.00 per person per night.
Private (family or friends) – $10.00 per person per night.
An approved escort may also be eligible for a subsidy to travel with you.
What is not covered?
- Meals or taxi fares to the airport
- Accommodation for the nights when you are an inpatient
- Subsidies for accommodation and escorts will only be provided for the minimum period needed for treatment
- You are responsible for any costs that the subsidy does not cover
Have you used the Mackay Base Hospital Patient Travel recently?
The Mackay Base Hospital Patient Travel Office is currently seeking feedback from patients/consumers and carers from the Mackay region who have recently booked patient travel.
In 2017 the Mackay HHS changed the model of service in the travel department to better meet the needs of patients/consumers and we are keen to see if there has been some improvement for consumers.
Please provide your feedback by answering 10 questions in our online survey https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/W2MSBQX